Volleyball -- Saints, Falcons play five-set thriller
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 27, 2004 1:55 PM
WINTERVILLE -- Scarlett Joyner emerged one of five players to record four or more kills as Southern Wayne endured a heartbreaking 19-25, 28-26, 25-21, 14-25, 7-15 loss against South Central on Thursday evening.
Joyner finished with nine kills, three digs and one service ace for the Saints, who endured their first loss in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play.
"This was one match that neither team could afford to lose and it was one that neither team deserved to lose," Southern Wayne coach Brian Bandy said. "We made critical errors at the most inopportune moments late in the match and took advantage of it.
"A loss like this after playing so well really hurts."
Bridget Parvin added five kills and two digs. Jamie Niemond, Charlie Garten and Katie Westfall each contributed four kills. Westfall added five aces and three digs, while Parvin and Niemond combined for six digs.
Rachel Reynolds paced the Saints defense with a team-high seven digs.
Brooke Wiggins contributed three aces.
Southern Wayne (2-3) entertains Charles B. Aycock next Tuesday afternoon.
South Central is 2-0 in the ECC.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series