Prep cross country roundup
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 1, 2004 1:55 PM
Three Warrior boys tie for race victory
Michael Lawrence, Matt Interrante and Will Collins each tied for first-place honors as Eastern Wayne stopped Wilson Hunt 17-40 in a non-conference boys cross country meet Tuesday afternoon.
The trio ran their 3.1-mile home course in 19 minutes, 35 seconds.
Teammates Justin Bernel and Matt Vogt finished fifth and sixth, respectively.
David Bunn paced Hunt with a fourth-place time of 19:54.
The visiting Warriors took the top two spots in the girls' race, but Eastern Wayne claimed the next five in a thrilling 25-30 victory. Leslie Lewis took third in 22:47, followed by Brittany Ham (23:32), April Vinson (24:06), Natalie Taylor (24:27) and Helen Baddour (24:48).
Eastern Wayne's boys improved to 11-6 overall heading into a Sept. 8 home meet against Rocky Mount Senior High. The Warrior girls are 5-9 overall.
Eastern Wayne 17, Hunt 40
1. Michael Lawrence, E. Wayne 19:35
2. Matt Interrante, EW 19:35
3. Will Collins, EW 19:35
4. David Bunn, Wilson Hunt 19:54
5. Justin Bernel, Hunt 20:12
6. Matt Vogt, EW 20:20
7. Bobby White, Hunt 20:32
8. Alex Lewis, Hunt 20:42
9. Preston Deanhardt, Hunt 20:49
10. Joey Burridge, EW 21:21
Eastern Wayne 25, Hunt 40
1. Rebecca Harris, Hunt 22:18
2. Anne Godwin, Hunt 22:18
3. Leslie Lewis, E. Wayne 22:47
4. Brittany Ham, EW 23:32
5. April Vinson, EW 24:06
6. Natalie Taylor, EW 24:27
7. Helen Baddour, EW 24:48
8. Astin Barnes, Hunt 25:40
9. Rachel Smith, Hunt 26:24
10. Skylar Zee, Hunt 26:25
Ellis, Bridgers each
set course record
Rosewood's Daniel Ellis and Wayne Country Day's Mimi Bridgers each set a new course record in a non-conference meet contested Monday afternoon at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base.
Ellis ran the 3.1-mile course in 20:43 seconds, while Bridgers turned in a time of 22:18 on the girls' side.
Neither school brought enough competitors to record a boys' score. The Chargers had eight participants in the girls' meet, while the Eagles had four.
1. Daniel Ellis, Rosewood 20:43*
2. Brian Sellers, Rosewood 20:50
3. Aaron Allen, WCDS 20:55
1. Mimi Bridgers, WCDS 22:18*
2. Mary Jo Moore, Rosewood 25:12
3. Emily Thronson, R 25:15
4. LaShonda Kates, WCDS 25:31
5. Allie Mouw, WCDS 25:36
6. Mary Hollowell, R 26:03
7. Stephanie Behrend, R 26:28
8. Molly Peacock, WCDS 28:05
9. Anna Davis, WCDS 32:10
10. Georgia Tanner, WCDS 33:59
* -- new course record
KENLY -- North Johnston's Matt Peedin and Heather Creech turned in the top individual times as the Panthers split a non-conference meet with Charles B. Aycock on Tuesday afternoon.
Peedin finished 24 seconds ahead of the Golden Falcons' David Williams on the boys' side. However, Aycock took the next six spots behind Peedin and claimed the overall meet win 20-40.
Brogden Hines ended up third in 20 minutes, 54 seconds. Travis Reeves (21:13), Alan Toler (21:16), Daniel Stancil (22:18) and Tanner Jackson (23:01) followed Hines.
Creech's solid effort and teammate Christina Strickland's second-place finish sparked the Panther girls to a 22-38 win. Teammate Elizabeth Baker captured fourth in 25:07.
Abby Caplinger recorded Aycock's top time, a third-place showing of 24:49.
The Golden Falcon boys improved to 3-0, while the girls endured their first loss of the season.
C.B. Aycock 20, N. Johnston 40
1. Matt Peedin, N. Johnston 20:17
2. David Williams, C.B. Aycock 20:41
3. Brogden Hines, CBA 20:54
4. Travis Reeves, CBA 21:13
5. Alan Toler, CBA 21:16
6. Daniel Stancil, CBA 22:18
7. Tanner Jackson, CBA 23:01
8. Casey Lake, NJ 23:36
9. Kyle McLamb, NJ 23:38
10. Jose Aguida, NJ 23:39
N. Johnston 22, C.B. Aycock 38
1. Heather Creech, N. Johnston 23:05
2. Christina Strickland, NJ 24:15
3. Abby Caplinger, C.B. Aycock 24:49
4. Elizabeth Baker, NJ 25:07
5. Danielle Sealey, CBA 25:33
6. Dominique Worrell, CBA 25:51
7. Cynthia Paul, NJ 26:48
8. Jenna Gudac, NJ 26:54
9. Amanda Sharp, NJ 27:20
10. Lisa Dobbins, CBA 27:25
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series