Prep cross country -- EW boys win, girls lose to Rocky Mount
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 9, 2004 1:56 PM
Eastern Wayne's Will Collins, Michael Lawrence and Matt Interrante tied for first place by running an 18:24 as the Warriors easily topped Rocky Mount 17-44 at home on Wednesday.
In the girls meet, Eastern Wayne and Rocky Mount both finished with 28 team points with the Gryphons' Tiffany McClain taking first with a 21:21. Rocky Mount was credited with the win due to having the best finish of its sixth place finish. The Warriors looked poised to take the meet until April Vinson rolled her ankle and was unable to finish.
"April was not expected to continue running after hurting her ankle, and all the other girls did the best they could," Eastern Wayne coach Jan Metzler said.
Eastern Wayne runs again at home on Tuesday next week at home against Southern Wayne and C.B. Aycock.
Eastern Wayne 17, Rocky Mount 44
1. Will Collins (EW) 18:24
2. Michael Lawrence (EW) 18:24
3. Matt Interrante (EW) 18:24
4. C.C. Evans (RM) 18:54
5. Drew Ziccardi (EW) 19:40
Eastern Wayne 28, Rocky Mount 28
1.Tiffany McLain (RM) 21:21
2: Leslie Lewis (EW) 22:02
3. Beth Coleman (RM) 23:30
4. Brittany Ham (EW) 24:10
5. Natalie Taylor (EW)
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series