Prep cross country
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 10, 2004 1:56 PM
Bland, Behrend collect meet victories
North Duplin's Clint Bland and Rosewood's Stephanie Behrend each prevailed in a Class 1-A Carolina Conference cross country meet contested Thursday afternoon the Rosewood High course.
Bland ran the 3.1-mile trail in 20 minutes 53 seconds and finished five seconds ahead of the Eagles' Casey Elrod. Fellow Rebel Jose Ledezma ended up third in 22:47, followed by Rosewood's Daniel Ellis (22:57).
Behrend turned in a time of 28 minutes for the Eagle girls. Teammates Mary Jo Moore and Mary Catherine Hollowell claimed second and third, respectively.
North Duplin's Amy Hicks was fourth in 31:52.
Neither team had enough runners to post team scores.
1. Clint Bland, N. Duplin 20:53
2. Casey Elrod, Rosewood 20:58
3. Jose Ledezma, ND 22:47
4. Daniel Ellis, RHS 22:57
5. Kyle Canuette, ND 25:50
6. Michael Mathis, ND 25:48
7. Justin Hicks, ND 26:03
8. Daniel Farrell, RHS 31:03
1. Stephanie Behrend, RHS 28:00
2. Mary Jo Moore, RHS 31:48
3. Mary Catherine Hollowell, RHS 31:49
4. Amy Hicks, ND 31:52
KENLY -- North Johnston's Matt Peedin and Heather Creech turned in the top times during Thursday's non-conference meet against Wilson Beddingfield.
The Panther boys claimed their first win of the season, 21-34, against the Bruins as Peedin recorded a time of 20 minutes, 20 seconds. Teammates Alan Rodriguez and Casey Lake took second and third, respectively.
Creech covered the 3.1-mile course in 23:26, more than a minute ahead of second-place finisher and teammate Elizabeth Baker.
N. Johnston 21, Beddingfield 34
1. Matt Peedin, N. Johnston 20:20
2. Alan Rodriguez, NJ 20:41
3. Casey Lake, NJ 21:18
4. Levi Holloman, Beddingfield no time
5. Wesley Bass, Beddingfield 22:02
N. Johnston 15, Beddingfield 50
1. Heather Creech, NJ 23:26
2. Elizabeth Baker, NJ 24:45
3. Cynthia Paul, NJ 26:00
4. Amanda Sharpe, NJ 27:03
5. Ashley Sharpe, NJ 27:30
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series