Tennis -- Wayne Christian doubles up Cresset
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on September 12, 2004 2:00 AM
DURHAM -- Wayne Christian moved back into a first-place tie in Class 1-A Carolina Conference tennis play after beating Cresset Christian 6-3 on Friday afternoon.
The Eagles won five of six singles matches.
"The girls all had great days in singles," said Eagles coach Jay James. "I was also pleased with Katie Fairchild and Stacie McCary in doubles, who got a good win."
Cresset defeated Community Christian, which had beaten Wayne Christian in the opening match of the season.
Wayne Christian takes on Eastern Wayne on Tuesday, then gets back into conference play on Friday with a game at Johnston Christian of Smithfield.
Wayne Christian 6, Cresset Christian 3
Singles -- No. 1 Jennica Botonis (WC) d. Christian Rall 6-1, 7-5. No. 2 Lauralee Hodson (WC) d. Ariel Burgess 6-1, 4-6, 10-5. No. 3 Elizabeth Pittman (C) d. Bianca Wall 6-0, 6-0. No. 4 Mary Elizabeth West (WC) d. Whitney Hockensmith 6-2, 6-2. No. 5 Katie Fairchild (WC) d. Kate Palmer 6-2, 5-7, 10-5. No. 6 Stacie McCary (WC) d. Hannah Gordon 6-3, 6-2.
Doubles -- No. 1 Rall-Pittman (C) d. Botonis-Wall 8-3. No. 2 Burgess-Hockensmith (C) d. Hodson-West 8-5. No. 3 Fairchild-McCary (WC) d. Palmer-Gordon 8-6.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series