Prep cross country
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 22, 2004 1:56 PM
Warrior duo leads EW to sweep
PIKEVILLE -- Eastern Wayne's Leslie Lewis and Will Collins emerged the top runners in a three-team, Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference meet contested Tuesday afternoon at Charles B. Aycock.
Lewis ran the 3.1-mile course in 21 minutes, 22 seconds as the Warriors nipped the host Golden Falcons 27-31. Teammate Brittany Ham was second in 21:55. Aycock's Kylie Justo and Abby Caplinger finished third and fourth, respectively.
The Warriors' April Vinson rounded out the top five.
Goldsboro's Danielle Irby placed 10th in 25:59.
Collins turned in a time of 16:58 as the Warrior boys prevailed 27-32. Michael Lawrence ended up second behind Collins, while Aycock's Michael Scott claimed third.
Justin Bernel grabbed fourth for the Warriors.
The Golden Falcons took fifth (Dalton Denning), sixth (Alan Toler) and eighth (David Williams).
Adrian Lewis led Goldsboro with a ninth-place showing in 19:51. The Cougars' next-highest finisher was Eugene Norman, who was 23rd overall in 26:13.
Eastern Wayne 27, C.B. Aycock 32, Goldsboro 75
1. Will Collins, E. Wayne 16:58
2. Michael Lawrence, EW 17:22
3. Michael Scott, C.B. Aycock 17:33
4. Justin Bernel, EW 18:21
5. Dalton Denning, CBA 18:46
6. Alan Toler, CBA 18:56
7. Steven Hendricks, EW 19:01
8. David Williams, CBA 19:13
9. Adrian Lewis, Goldsboro 19:51
10. Daniel Stancil, CBA 19:52
Eastern Wayne 27, C.B. Aycock 31
1. Leslie Lewis, E. Wayne 21:22
2. Brittany Ham, EW 21:55
3. Kylie Justo, C.B. Aycock 22:11
4. Abby Caplinger, CBA 22:41
5. April Vinson, EW 22:39
Wayne Country Day's Mimi Bridgers turned in a course-record time of 24 minutes, 46 seconds in a meet Tuesday afternoon against Rocky Mount Academy.
Allie Mouw claimed third in 26:01, followed by teammates Virginia Best, Anna Davis, LaShonda Kates and Molly Peacock.
Rocky Mount Academy's Harrison Gould won the boys' portion of the meet in 19:48. Alex Urquhart and Kyle Minges took second and third, respectively, for the visiting Eagles.
Aaron Allen emerged the Chargers' top runner in 21:31.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series