Prep cross country roundup
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 30, 2004 1:55 PM
Collins, Lewis lead Eastern Wayne in ECC meet
Will Collins and Leslie Lewis emerged the top runners as Eastern Wayne swept county rival Charles B. Aycock and South Central in Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference action Tuesday.
Collins ran the 3.1-mile course in 17 minutes, 10 seconds -- just nine seconds ahead of teammate Matt Interrante. Fellow Warriors Michael Lawrence and Justin Bernel claimed third and fourth, respectively.
Eastern Wayne collected 17 points, compared to 53 for South Central and 65 for C.B. Aycock.
Michael Scott led the Golden Falcons with a fifth-place time of 18:18.
Lewis recorded a time of 21:25 and easily defeated South Central's Karen Harker, who earned a runner-up time of 21:39. Brittany Ham, Lewis' teammate, claimed third in 22 minutes.
Aycock's Kylie Justo was fourth in 22:23.
The Warriors amassed 25 points, while the Golden Falcons picked up 42. South Central had 58.
Eastern Wayne returns to action Saturday in the annual Overton's Invitational at Lake Kristi in Greenville.
Eastern Wayne 17
South Central 53
C.B. Aycock 65
1. Will Collins, E. Wayne 17:10
2. Matt Interrante, EW 17:19
3. Michael Lawrence, EW 17:32
4. Justin Bernel, EW 17:55
5. Michael Scott, C.B. Aycock 18:18
6. Brystol Benner, S. Central 18:32
7. Drew Ziccardi, EW 18:44
8. Matt Vogt, EW 18:52
9. Chris Camp, SC 19:12
10. Adam Harrell, SC 19:19
Eastern Wayne 25
C.B. Aycock 42
South Central 58
1. Leslie Lewis, E. Wayne 21:25
2. Karen Harker, S. Central 21:39
3. Brittany Ham, EW 22:00
4. Kylie Justo, C.B. Aycock 22:23
5. April Vinson, EW 22:41
6. Natalie Taylor, EW 22:46
7. Dominique Worrell, CBA 23:01
8. Abbey Clapinger, CBA 23:10
9. Lauren Connell, SC 24:09
10. Donna Munier, EW 24:14
Rams run past Panthers
BETHEL -- Greene Central's Tony Tyson and Blair Carraway came away with first-place finishers in a two-team, Eastern Plains 2-A Conference meet on Wednesday at North Pitt.
The Rams captured both meets as the boys claimed five of the first six spots and finished with 19 team points to North Pitt's 43. Greene Central improved to 7-0 overall and 5-0 in EPC play.
The Ram girls (5-2, 3-2 EPC) also took five of the top six and finished with 18 points. North Pitt's girls did not have enough runners to post a team score.
Greene Central runs at South Lenoir on Oct. 6.
Greene Central 18
North Pitt 43
1. Tony Tyson, Greene Central 19:34
2. Dale Hines, GC 19:56
4. Lance Murray, GC 20:19
5. Cameron Taylor, GC 21:03
6. Phillip Shelton, GC 21:15
Greene Central 18
North Pitt N/S
1. Blair Carraway, Greene Central 26:55
2. Ashley Oakes, GC 26:56
4. Cassie Webb, GC 30:13
5. Amber Oakes, GC 30:14
6. Tonya McGee, GC 30:39
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series