By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on October 6, 2004 1:55 PM
EW's Taylor takes medalist honors
VANCEBORO -- Brittney Taylor seized medalist honors with an 18-hole round of 81 and sparked Eastern Wayne to a 188-190 victory against Charles B. Aycock in Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference play Tuesday at Quaker Neck.
Taylor's season-best effort helped the Warriors trimmed the Golden Falcons' overall lead to a mere seven strokes heading into the final ECC meet of the season. All five teams conclude regular-season play next Wednesday afternoon at Walnut Creek.
"Brittney shot a good score on a tough and tight course," Eastern Wayne coach Scott Waller said. "Ashley (Smith) is improving with each match. There's one match left and Aycock has a seven-stroke lead, so our work is cut out for us."
Smith fired a 107. Teammates Heather Raczkowski and Megan Sutton turned in identical rounds of 122.
Kelli Forbis continued her steady play for Aycock with a 93.
Jordan Hill led Southern Wayne with a 101. The Saints took third overall with a 220, followed by West Carteret (224) and West Craven (283).
Lane Tree Ladies Golf
Teresa Shearin claimed low net and game-of-the-week for play ending Oct. 3.
Rosemary Lutcavage won low putts.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series