Prep cross country
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on October 6, 2004 1:56 PM
CBA's Scott takes ECC meet
WINTERVILLE -- Michael Scott from Charles B. Aycock and Karen Harker from South Central emerged the top boy's and girl's runner, respectively, in a Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference meet Tuesday afternoon.
Scott ran the 3.1-mile course at Boyd Lee Park in 18 minutes, 18 seconds to lead the Golden Falcons to a second-place finish in the five-team meet. South Central claimed first with 23 points, with the Golden Falcons close behind at 35.
Southern Wayne finished a distant third with 83 and Goldsboro was fourth in 107. West Craven participated, but did not have enough runners to post a team score.
Aycock's Dalton Denning was fourth in 19:17, while the host Falcons got a fifth-place finish from Ryan Hussey.
Allen Bennett emerged the Saints' top runner with an eighth-place time of 19:42.
On the girls' side, Kylie Justo and Abby Caplinger claimed second and third, respectively, as Aycock prevailed 24-31 against South Central. Teammates Danielle Sealey and Dominique Worrell crossed the finish line in fifth and sixth, respectively.
Goldsboro's Danielle Irby ended up 10th in 26:03.
South Central 23, C.B. Aycock 35, Southern Wayne 83, Goldsboro 107
1. Michael Scott, C.B. Aycock 18:18
2. Brystol Brenner, S. Central 18:23
3. Adam Harrell, SC 19:09
4. Dalton Denning, CBA 19:17
5. Ryan Hussey, SC 19:19
6. Chris Camp, SC 19:23
7. Ryan Benner, SC 19:35
8. Allen Bennett, So. Wayne 19:42
9. Alan Toler, CBA 19:48
10. David Williams, CBA 19:54
C.B. Aycock 24, South Central 31
1. Karen Harker, S. Central 22:05
2. Kylie Justo, C.B. Aycock 22:38
3. Abby Caplinger, CBA 22:55
4. Lauren Connell, SC 22:59
5. Danielle Sealey, CBA 24:22
6. Dominique Worrell, CBA 24:27
7. Brook Meeks, SC 24:35
8. Angel Keerbs, CBA 24:59
9. Miriam Tulppo, SC 25:16
10. Danielle Irby, Goldsboro 26:03
lead Wayne Christian
Wayne Christian runners Carrie McCall and Doug Johnson each claimed first-place honors in a non-conference meet contested Monday afternoon against Rosewood.
McCall ran the 3.1-mile course in 24 minutes, 42 seconds and led a 1-2-3 finish for the Eagles. Teammates Jennifer Price and Logan Dawson recorded times of 26:10 and 27:49, respectively.
Johnson turned in a time of 20:52 on the boys' side and finished more than 30 seconds ahead of runner-up Terrence Williams from Rosewood.
Mary Hollowell finished as Rosewood's top runner with a fourth-place effort of 28 minutes.
1. Carrie McCall, W. Christian 24:42
2. Jennifer Price, WCS 26:10
3. Logan Dawson, WCS 27:49
4. Mary Hollowell, Rosewood 28:00
5. Mary McCrey, RHS 31:01
6. Shelle Anderson, WCS 34:27
7. Martha Summerlin, WCS 52:00
1. Doug Johnson, W. Christian 20:52
2. Terrence Williams, Rosewood 21:31
3. Daniel Ellis, RHS 22:02
4. Jon Massey, WCS 24:21
5. John Potts, WCS 24:57
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series