Prep cross country roundup
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on October 7, 2004 1:55 PM
MOREHEAD CITY -- Eastern Wayne's Matt Interrante crossed the finish line first and helped the Warriors sweep a three-team, Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference meet Tuesday afternoon at West Carteret.
Interrante ran the 3.1-mile course in 17 minutes, 30 seconds and teammate Will Collins finished two seconds behind him. Michael Lawrence claimed third as Eastern Wayne piled up a meet-low 18 points -- 28 better than West Carteret.
Washington was third with 75.
The Warriors' Justin Bernel and Drew Ziccardi earned the fifth and seventh positions, respectively. Overall, Eastern Wayne placed six runners among the top 10.
The host Patriots emerged victorious in the girls' portion of the race in a 17-42 decision against the Warriors. The Pam Pack did not have enough runners to post a team score.
However, Washington's Gina Castor prevailed as the top runner in 21:26 -- one second faster than the Patriots' Brianne Talob. Stephanie Rynas of West Carteret and Gina Valenti of Washington captured third and fourth, respectively.
Leslie Lewis paced the Warriors with a fifth-place time of 22:022. Teammate Brittany Ham grabbed eighth in 22:41.
Eastern Wayne 18, West Carteret 46, Washington 75
1. Matt Interrante, E. Wayne 17:30
2. Will Collins, EW 17:32
3. Michael Lawrence, EW 17:45
4. Matt Stallsworth, W. Carteret 17:48
5. Justin Bernel, EW 18:51
6. Robin Gonzalez, Wash 18:59
7. Drew Ziccardi, EW 19:08
8. Matt Vogt, EW 19:17
9. Cooper Close, WC 19:19
10. Joe Green, WC 19:23
West Carteret 17, Eastern Wayne 42
1. Gina Castro, Washington 21:26
2. Brianne Talob, W. Carteret 21:27
3. Stephanie Rynas, WC 21:28
4. Gina Valenti, Wash 21:56
5. Leslie Lewis, E. Wayne 22:02
6. Allison Davis, WC 22:29
7. Laura Stephenson, WC 22:38
8. Brittany Ham, EW 22:41
9. Michelle Moritz, WC 22:43
Chargers take part in Ukrop's race
Wayne Country Day School had runners of all ages competing at the Ukrop's Cross Country Festival in Richmond, Virginia on Oct. 1 and 2.
Chargers' coach Jewel Marlowe finished second of 85 runners in the Women's 5K and was first in her age group, while coach Jolyn Robbins finished 12th in her age group.
In the Open Women's 5K (40+), Leigh Tanner finished fifth in her age group.
Molly Peacock (26:55) and Mary Catherine Gurley (33:33) finished 21st and 33rd respectively in the Open Girls 5K.
LaShonda Kates, Virginia Best, Anna Davis, Georgia Tanner and Virginia Yarboro led Wayne Country Day's Middle School Girls to a second-place finish in the 3K event.
In the Middle School Boys 3K, Aaron Allen ran a 12:39 to take 20th.
Hil Tanner (6:03) and Matt Davis (6:13) took seventh and 12th place, respectively, in the Elementary Boys One Mile run. Sarah Best (7:10) finished 28th in the Elementary Girls One Mile.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series