Prep cross country
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on October 8, 2004 1:56 PM
DEEP RUN -- South Lenoir's Coleman Heath and Jess King claimed medalist honors in a two-team, Class 2-A Eastern Plains Conference meet held Wednesday at the Blue Devils' course.
Greene Central claimed the boys meet -- winning spots two-through-five -- and finishing with a team score of 23. South Lenoir had 33 team points. The Ram boys are now 8-0 overall and 6-0 against conference foes.
Tony Tyson emerged the Rams' top finisher with a second-place time of 18:42. Greene Central's Lance Murray, Dale Hines and Cameron Taylor also finished in the top-five.
In the girls meet, South Lenoir won with team score of 21, while the Rams finished with 34.
Blair Carraway (25:02) finished fourth for the Greene Central girls, while teammate Ashley Oakes (25:03) took fifth. Greene Central's girls dropped to 5-3 overall and 3-3 in conference.
The Rams and Blue Devils meet again next Wednesday in Snow Hill.
Greene Central 23, South Lenoir 33
1. Coleman Heath (SL) 17:33
2. Tony Tyson (GC) 18:42
3. Lance Murray (GC) 19:10
4. Dale Hines (GC) 19:19
5. Cameron Taylor (GC) 19:31
9. Phillip Shelton (GC) 20:35
South Lenoir 21, Greene Central 34
1. Jess King (SL) 21:18
4. Blair Carraway (GC) 25:02
5. Ashley Oakes (GC) 25:03
7. Cassie Webb (GC) 26:13
8. Amber Oakes (GC) 27:24
10. Tonya McGee (GC) 28:51
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series