Prep cross country roundup
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on October 14, 2004 1:56 PM
Farmville Central's C.J. Eason and North Johnston's Elizabeth Baker took first-place honors and led their respective teams to wins in a Class 1-A Carolina Conference meet at Rosewood on Wednesday.
The Jaguar boys finished with 38 team points, while the Panther girls took first with 25 points.
Spring Creek's Eric Walters (19:19) took second in the boys meet, while teammate Pat Wilkens (19:58) finished ninth. North Duplin's Clint Bland (19:38) and Jose Ledezma (20:07) had top-times as the Rebels edged the Gators 55-57 for second place in the meet. North Johnston (62) took fourth.
Rosewood's Terrance Williams placed eighth overall with a 19:38.
In the girls meet, North Johnston finished with 25 points to Princeton's 34 as the two Johnston County rivals were the only two to qualify for team scoring.
The Panthers were paced by Baker, Heather Creech (22:58), Ashley Sharpe (25:12), Jenna Gudac (25:14), Katie Young (25:15) and Cynthia Paul (25:24) -- all finishing in the top ten.
Princeton's Heather Braswell (22:29) took second as teammates Courtney Yancey (24:46) and Brittney Stewart (24:47) finished fourth and fifth, respectively.
Rosewood's Mary Jo Moore ran a 25:04, good four sixth overall.
The conference championship meet is Oct. 20 at Farmville Central.
Farmville Central 38,
North Duplin 55, Spring Creek 57, North Johnston 62
1. C.J. Eason (FC) 18:24
2. Eric Walters (SC) 19:19
3. Brandon Cox (FC) 19:28
4. Matt Peedin (NJ) 19:32
5. Alan Rodriquez (NJ) 19:33
6. Joey Santopolo (FC) 19:34
7. Clint Bland (ND) 19:38
8. Terrance Williams (RHS) 19:38
9. Pat Wilkens (SC) 19:58
10. Jose Ledezma (ND) 20:07
13. Phillip Croom (PHS) 20:37
North Johnston 25, Princeton 34
1. Elizabeth Baker (NJ) 22:20
2. Heather Braswell (PHS) 22:29
3. Heather Creech (NJ) 22:58
4. Courtney Yancey (PHS) 24:46
5. Brittney Stewart (PHS) 24:47
6. Mary Jo Moore (RHS) 25:04
7. Ashley Sharpe (NJ) 25:12
8. Jenna Gudac (NJ) 25:14
9. Katie Young (NJ) 25:15
10. Cynthia Paul (NJ) 25:24
14. Betsy Salazar (SC) 26:31
22. Amy Hicks (ND) 30:33
sets course record
SNOW HILL -- South Lenoir's Jess King set a course record for girls times on Wednesday at Greene Central -- running a 22:19 to take first place in the girls meet.
Meanwhile, Greene Central's boys remained unbeaten, defeating South Lenoir 25-33.
The Rams' Tony Tyson (19:04) finished second, while teammate Lance Murray (19:42) took third. Dale Hines, Cameron Taylor and Phillip Shelton also finished in the top ten.
South Lenoir's Coleman Heath won the boys meet with a 17:56.
Greene Central's girls did not qualify for the team scoring, but Blair Carraway, Ashley Oakes and Cassie Webb turned in top-ten finishes.
The next Class 2-A Eastern Plains Conference meet is Oct. 20 at South Lenoir.
Greene Central 25, South Lenoir 33
1. Coleman Heath (SL) 17:56
2. Tony Tyson (GC) 19:04
3. Lance Murray (GC) 19:42
5. Dale Hines (GC) 20:11
7. Cameron Taylor (GC) 20:41
8. Phillip Shelton (GC) 20:51
South Lenoir 20
1. Jess King (SL) 22:19
4. Blair Carraway (GC) 25:19
5. Ashley Oakes (GC) 25:20
7. Cassie Webb (GC) 27:42
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series