By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on October 29, 2004 1:56 PM
Tarboro knocks off soccer Hawks
TARBORO -- Tarboro High scored twice in the final 10 minutes and handed North Lenoir a 2-1 loss in the Class 2-A Eastern Plains Conference regular-season finale for both teams at Indian Lake on Thursday afternoon.
The Vikings (14-4-2) clinched the league's No. 2 berth for next week's N.C. High School Athletic Association playoffs, which begin Wednesday. The come-from-behind victory eliminated archrival SouthWest Edgecombe from postseason contention.
The teams battled to a scoreless tie at halftime.
North Lenoir (12-6-2) seized the lead early in the second half on Alex McGalhy's unassisted goal.
Tarboro continued to plug away before scoring the equalizer -- Andreas Garcia's goal off Victor Arias' assist -- in the 72nd minute. The duo hooked up for the game-winning mark two minutes later.
The Hawks, who won their third EPC title in the last four years on Wednesday, earned a first-round bye for the playoffs. They'll host a second-round game on Nov. 6.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series