Pickle Classic -- 30 Years Ago
Published in Sports on November 16, 2004 1:56 PM
Alex Taylor scored 24 points for Mount Olive in each of the Trojans' two games, but it wasn't enough as Mount Olive finished fourth in the Pickle Classic, held at Southern Wayne High School.
Mount Olive, still a two-year college at the time, fell 89-86 to the Belmont Abbey junior varsity in the first round, then lost to Louisburg 86-70 in the consolation game. Clarence Epps added 18 points for Mount Olive in the first round and 10 points in the consolation game.
Belmont Abbey defeated East Carolina junior varsity 93-87 in the championship game as Derrick Gabriel was named Most Valuable Player. Taylor earned All-Tournament honors for the Trojans.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series