Trojan tennis opens with national ranking
Published in Sports on November 19, 2004 1:55 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Mount Olive is ranked No. 28 in the nation and No. 10 in the Mid-Atlantic Region in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Division II Men?s Tennis fall rankings, it was announced Wednesday. The national ranking is the highest ever for Mount Olive men?s tennis, surpassing last season?s year-end No. 31 ranking.
Mount Olive posted a record of 15-7 in 2004, winning 11 of its final 14 matches to close out the season. The Trojans finished fourth in the Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference regular season standings and placed third in the CVAC Tournament. The Trojans were ranked in each of the last three national polls last season.
The Trojans return four starters from last year, including All-CVAC first team selection Rafael Bustos. In addition to the team ranking last year, Fernando Crisosto was ranked as high as No. 41 in the nation in Division II men?s singles.
Mount Olive begins its 2005 spring season in February. The Trojans competed in several tournaments this fall, including the Landfall/UNCW Invitational at UNC Wilmington. Bustos and Camilo Sabogal reached the men?s doubles final in the tournament, in which Mount Olive was the only non-Division I team competing.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series