Mount Olive baseball upsets No. 13 Augusta State
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 2, 2005 2:15 PM
AUGUSTA, Ga. - Ricky Davis hit a pair of two-run singles during a nine-run third inning and Justin Staatz pitched 42/3 innings of scoreless relief as Mount Olive defeated nationally 13th-ranked Augusta State 11-9 in non-conference baseball Tuesday afternoon.
The win was the fourth in a row for the Trojans.
Mount Olive (11-9) rallied from a 3-0 deficit as the Trojans capitalized on four Augusta State errors in the top of the third. Davis singled with the bases loaded and nobody out to give Mount Olive its first two runs of the game. Then after the Trojans batted around, Davis again came up with the bases loaded and again drove in two runs with a single as Mount Olive took a 9-3 lead.
Augusta State (10-6-1) tied the game with six runs in the bottom of the fourth, highlighted by a two-run double by Bennett Mayfield. But Dustin Richardson's sacrifice fly in the fifth broke the tie, setting the stage for Staatz.
Staatz (3-1) entered the game to start the bottom of the fifth and held the Jaguars scoreless on two hits.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series