Saints bounce back at Beach Diamond tourney
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 31, 2005 1:55 PM
SHALLOTTE -- Southern Wayne's Logan Porter delivered the game-clinching hit, scoring Brady Wiggins in the bottom of the sixth in the Saints' 11-1 win over Wallace-Rose Hill Wednesday in their third and final game at the Beach Diamond Invitational at West Brunswick High School.
The game was called due to the 10-run rule after Wiggins crossed the plate. Southern Wayne (5-4) exited the tournament with a 2-1 record.
"We did a lot of good things. I think the boys played hard," Southern Wayne coach Trae McKee said. "We got a lot of things answered that we wanted to answer out of conference."
Wednesday, Saint right-hander Matthew Holloman went the full, six innings -- yielding no earned runs and just three hits with three strikeouts and three walks.
Porter led a balanced offensive display with three hits and two RBI, while Austin Hood provided two hits, including a double. David Combs notched two hits as teammate Garrett Barfield smacked a two-run double and walked three times. Josh Narron contributed a double and and RBI.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series