Quick facts about UNC basketball
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 1, 2005 1:53 PM
* North Carolina is playing in an NCAA-record, 16th Final Four and its seventh in the last 15 years
* The Tar Heels have reached at least one Final Four in each of the last seven decades, most recently in 2000 in Indianapolis
* Carolina has the third-best winning percentage (.705) in Tournament history
* UNC leads the all-time series with Michigan State 5-3. The Spartans won the last meeting 77-64 in 2000's ACC-Big Ten Challenge contest. The Heels claimed the last Tournament match-up 73-58 in 1998's East Regional semifinal.
* Carolina is 32-7 all-time as a No. 1 seed and 4-1 all-time against fifth seeds.
* The Tar Heels enter the Final Four ranked first in the nation in scoring offense (89.1 ppg), scoring margin (19.1 ppg) and assists per game (19.6).
* In four tournament games this season, May is averaging 21.5 points and 11.8 rebounds per game and is hitting 67.3 percent of his field goal attempts. Rashad McCants is averaging 17.8 ppg and has hit 50 percent of his 3-pointers (11 of 22). Marvin Williams is scoring 15.5 points and 7.8 rebounds, while Raymond Felton is posting 12.3 points, 9 assists and 6 rebounds.
* Rashad McCants enters the Final Four as Carolina's 16th leading scorer all-time. McCants, Melvin Scott and Raymond Felton are each among the top-10 in career 3-pointers. Sean May is just nine rebounds away from tying Antawn Jamison's single-season rebounding mark of 389.
* Roy Williams is fifth among active coaches and eighth among all coaches with 39 NCAA Tournament wins. Williams and Rick Pitino are both making their fifth trip to the Final Four.
* This is Carolina's seventh 30-win season and first since 1997-1998. Six of the seven 30-win teams have reached the Final Four and three have won NCAA titles (1957, 1982, 1993).
Courtesy UNC Sports Information
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series