No-hitter carries Staatz to CVAC honor
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 20, 2005 1:58 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Justin Staatz, who pitched the second no-hitter in Mount Olive College baseball history and the first ever in CVAC play, was named Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference Baseball Pitcher of the Week, it was announced Tuesday. The award is Staatz's second this season.
Staatz, a junior from Woodstock, Md., tossed a no-hitter in Mount Olive's 8-3 win over Pfeiffer Saturday. Staatz struck out eight and overcame seven walks. He recorded at least one strikeout in each inning of the seven-inning complete game.
Staatz leads the CVAC with a 2.17 earned-run average and is averaging 10 strikeouts per nine innings. Staatz has won each of his last three decisions.
Mount Olive is the No. 5 seed in this weekend's CVAC Tournament at Wilson and takes on No. 4 seed St. Andrews Friday morning in the first round. Game time is 10 a.m. at Barton College.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series