Barbecue dinner to benefit scholarship
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 31, 2005 1:54 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Wayne County American Legion Post 11 members are holding a barbecue cookout June 5 in honor of former baseball standout Josh Brinkley, who tragically lost his life Oct. 15, 2003.
Plates are $5 and will be served from 5-7 p.m. prior to Post 11's home contest against archrival Snow Hill Post 94.
Brinkley starred at Southern Wayne and eventually played in the Single A Carolina League with Winston-Salem. One evening while jogging near his home in Chinquapin, Brinkley was hit and killed by car.
A $750 scholarship has been awarded in his honor to students at Southern Wayne and East Duplin High School.
Matthew Holloman, a current member of Post 11's baseball team, was the recipient this year at Southern Wayne. Holloman has made a verbal commitment to play at Southeastern Community College in Whiteville.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series