Post 11 Junior team squeezes past Aycock
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on June 22, 2005 1:46 PM
DUDLEY -- A fourth-inning suicide squeeze and sixth-inning error helped Wayne County Post 11 nip Aycock 4-3 in a Junior American Legion contest Tuesday evening on the Southern Wayne diamond.
Dave Overman laid down a perfect bunt to score Taylor Sutton in the fourth. Chris Massey, whose single moved Sutton into scoring position, stole third moments later and crossed home when Aycock's defense threw the ball away into left field.
The suicide squeeze and error gave Wayne a 3-1 lead.
In the fifth, Garrett Barfield reached on an error and later scored on another error for a three-run advantage.
Aycock climbed within 4-3 on Joseph Toler's two-run home run in the sixth.
Massey led Wayne County (5-4) with two hits in three at-bats. Willie Kornegay provided an RBI double in two official plate appearances. Walker Gourley and Michael Mintz provided one hit apiece.
Evan Cavanaugh claimed the mound victory and scattered four hits in a six-inning stint. He struck out eight and yielded one earned run. Sterling Grice threw one inning of one-hit relief for the save.
Toler, Bradley Taylor and Zach Wright each had one hit for Aycock.
Jay Rose took the mound loss.
Wayne County entertains Snow Hill at 7 p.m. today.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series