Manny Lawson on watch list for Bednarik Award
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on June 23, 2005 1:46 PM
North Carolina State defensive ends Mario Williams and Eastern Wayne High School grad Manny Lawson are both on the preseason watch list for the 2005 Chuck Bednarik Award. The Bednarik Award is given annually to the collegiate defensive player of the year by the Maxwell Football Club.
Williams and Lawson led the nation's top-rated defense in sacks last season. Lawson tallied seven, while Williams had six. The duo combined for 27 tackles for loss and 107 total tackles. Williams, who is also on the watch list for the Lombardi Award, was a first-team All-ACC performer last season.
Lawson won second-team honors.
Ten semifinalists for the award will be named in October and the field will be narrowed to three finalists in November. The winners will be announced at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show in December.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series