Local roundup -- WCDS boys soccer opens with win
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 18, 2005 2:02 PM
RALEIGH -- Wayne Country Day junior Sam Steed scored two goals and dished out one assist as the Chargers opened the season with a 6-1 win at Trinity of Raleigh on Wednesday.
Cameron Ford, Hyowon Ha, Will Futrelle and Byron Bryan added one goal each. Cameron Ford, Ryan Ford and Futrelle posted one assist for Wayne Country Day (1-0), which returns to action on Aug. 27 at The Brittany soccer tournament in Wilson on Aug. 27.
First-year Charger coach Paul Estrada complemented Brandon Davis for his work defensively.
Teresa Shearin emerged low net, game of the week and low putts winner for the week ending Aug. 14.
Mary Ann Sutton won play of the day, while Gaye Bryant prevailed low gross and Faye Franklin took low net. Linda Cannon won low putts for the field.
Mary Ann Sutton, aced hole No. 13 at Walnut Creek Country Club on July 27. She used a 9 iron to hole-out the 97 yard Par 3.
Her playing partner Kathy Woodard witnessed this feat as did the team of Bill Brewer, Jimmy Daniels and Johnny Zambelli as they allowed the ladies to play through.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series