By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on September 4, 2005 2:16 AM
SPIVEY'S CORNER -- Lelo Burt caught one touchdown pass and returned a kickoff for another score in Spring Creek's 35-20, non-conference loss Friday evening at Midway.
Burt's kickoff return, a 94-yard gallop, occurred in the second period. That gave Spring Creek a 14-6 advantage. Quarterback Josh Wright collected the Gators' first touchdown, a 1-run plunge in the second quarter to cap a 96-yard drive.
However, one play turned momentum in the Raiders' favor.
Punter Wes Denham couldn't handle a low snap and Midway recovered it at the Spring Creek 37. Raider split end Ryan Butler made a belly-flopping catch of a pass from Josh Crumpler, which put the ball at the 1-yard line.
Edward McDuffie, who rushed for three touchdowns, finished off the quick scoring drive. He added the two-point conversion to forge a 14-14 tie at halftime.
Midway, of the Class 1-A Super Six Conference, added two third-quarter touchdowns to seize control.
Wright and Burt concluded the Gators' scoring with a 50-yard touchdown strike in the final quarter.
Spring Creek (1-2) entertains Lakewood next Friday. Game time is 7:30 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series