MOC women fall to Flagler
Published in Sports on September 6, 2005 1:59 PM
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. - Jessica Echterling's goal in the 12th minute put Flagler ahead to stay as Mount Olive fell to Flagler 3-1 in non-conference women's soccer Sunday at St. Augustine. Gina Dos Santos scored a goal for the Trojans late in the second half.
Mount Olive (2-2-0) fell behind 1-0 when Echterling's shot glanced off the post into the back of the net. Flagler (3-1-0) added a goal in the 38th minute as Jessica Potter's shot landed just under the crossbar as the Saints went into halftime with a 2-0 lead. Flagler scored again nine minutes into the second half when Caitlin Eggimann lobbed a shot over the Trojan defense from 35 yards out.
The Trojans avoided the shutout when Dos Santos scored her seventh goal of the season with 50 seconds remaining in the match. Mount Olive has scored at least one goal in 16 consecutive matches.
Flagler outshot Mount Olive 14-8. Trojan goalkeeper Heather Ulep recorded six saves, while Kate Carver had four saves for Flagler.
Mount Olive is off until Thursday when the Trojans play host to Chowan in non-conference action. The contest is the home opener for Mount Olive. Match time is 4 p.m. at Trojan Field.
1. 11:12 FC Jessica Echterling (1) (unassisted)
2. 37:26 FC Jessica Potter (2) (unassisted)
3. 54:13 FC Caitlin Eggimann (1) (unassisted)
4. 89:10 MOC Gina Dos Santos (unassisted)
Shots: Mount Olive 8, Flagler 14
Saves: Mount Olive 6 (Heather Ulep 6), Flagler 4 (Kate Carver 4)
MOC Sports Information
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series