MOC men ranked No. 22 in men's soccer poll
Published in Sports on September 7, 2005 1:58 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Mount Olive earned its first-ever men's soccer national ranking, debuting at No. 22 in this week's NSCAA/Adidas Division II Men's Soccer Top 25, it was announced Tuesday by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America. The Trojans are also ranked No. 3 in this week's Southeast Regional poll, their highest-ever regional ranking.
Mount Olive is off to a 3-0-0 start, including an overtime win over regionally fourth-ranked Lander. The Trojans have recorded two shutouts and have outscored their first three opponents by a margin of 15-2.
Mount Olive was ranked in the Southeast Region Top 10 during the entire 2004 season, including five consecutive weeks at No. 5. The Trojans finished the season tied at No. 4 in the final regional poll.
Men's soccer becomes the fourth sport at Mount Olive to earn a national ranking, joining baseball, men's basketball and men's tennis.
Mount Olive plays its first contest as a nationally-ranked team Thursday as the Trojans travel to Aiken, S.C., to face USC-Aiken in a non-conference match-up. Match time is 7 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series