Trojans men's soccer team falls to UNC-Pembroke
Published in Sports on September 29, 2005 2:09 PM
PEMBROKE -- Junior Jose Sanchez scored the only goal of the night to lead No. 24 UNC-Pembroke to a 1-0 upset over seventh ranked and previously unbeaten Mount Olive in men's soccer action Wednesday night in front of 233 fans at the Belk Athletic Complex.
The victory over the seventh ranked Trojans is the second victory over a top-10 team this season for the Braves as they downed the second ranked Tusculum Pioneers on September 17 by the same 1-0 score.
With the win, UNC-Pembroke improves to 7-2-1 on the year, while the Trojans picked up their first loss and falls to 8-1-1.
It was the Braves' defense, along with Sanchez's goal that came at the 5:47 mark, which sparked the Braves to the upset. Sophomore Tuncay Dilek picked up an assist on Sanchez's third goal of the season, while UNCP goalkeeper Richard Sallin did not have to record a save due to Pembroke's stingy defense that only allowed six shots, none on goal, by Mount Olive.
Chris Jasso, Erik Small and Charles Williams each tallied a shot for the Trojans, who also recorded 15 fouls and three yellow cards.
Mount Olive will host Anderson (S.C.) in Carolinas-Virginia Athletic Conference action.
Courtesy UNC-Pembroke Sports Information
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series