Mount Olive College volleyball
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on October 10, 2005 2:00 PM
Mount Olive suffered its first conference loss of the season as the regionally eighth-ranked Trojans fell to Converse 20-30, 24-30, 30-23, 30-18, 15-13 in Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference volleyball Sunday at Spartanburg, S.C.
With the loss, Mount Olive falls to 15-4 overall and 10-1 in the CVAC, a half-game behind conference leader Lees-McRae.
Heidi Busch led the Trojans with 22 kills, while Sam Mitchell added 16 kills and Anna Luft finished with 10 kills. Sara Christie tallied 49 assists, seven aces and 21 digs. Nikki Murphy recorded a career-high 34 digs and Colby Mangum added five blocks.
Busch moved into 15th place on the NCAA II women's volleyball all-time list with 2,180 kills.
Sunday's match was a reversal of the first meeting between the two teams, in which Mount Olive rallied from a two-game deficit to defeat Converse in five games.
Mount Olive is off until Friday when the Trojans return to the site of their first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance, competing in the Lock Haven University Tournament at Lock Haven, Pa. Mount Olive opens play against Lock Haven and West Chester. Saturday's matches will be determined by Friday's results.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series