Gilbert named to Shrine Bowl
By Gabe Whisnant
Published in Sports on October 23, 2005 2:16 AM
PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock senior safety/tailback Cortez Gilbert has been selected to the North Carolina roster for the 2005 Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas game on Dec. 17 at Gibbs Stadium on the campus of Wofford College in Spartanburg, S.C.
Gilbert (6-foot-1, 179 pounds) earned all-Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference honors as a junior after collecting 119 tackles with seven interceptions in the defensive backfield. He's picked up right where he left off in his senior campaign on the defensive side of the ball and has also emerged as one of the Golden Falcons' top ball carriers over the last several weeks.
Gilbert is the first player from Aycock ever named to the Shrine Bowl team.
The Shrine Bowl contest, now in its 69th year, matches up some of the best football talent from North and South Carolina and proceeds from the game beneift the Endowment Fund of the Shriners Hospital for Children.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series