Forbis-Newell tied for 13th
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on November 1, 2005 1:57 PM
WHISPERING PINES -- Charles B. Aycock's tandem of Kelli Forbis and Brooke Newell combined for a 200 after Monday's first round of the Class 1-A/2-A/3-A N.C. High School Athletic Association girl's golf championships at the Country Club of Whispering Pines.
Forbis fired a 93, while Newell shot a 107. The score was good for tie for 13th place overall with Hampstead Topsail and Nash Central.
Spring Creek's Paula Webber shot a 104 as Jordan Hill of Southern Wayne notched a 109. Eastern Wayne's Melissa Ricker fired a 124. All three were competing as individuals.
Senior Emily Street of Forest City Chase holds a one-shot lead in the individual standings, shooting a four-over 75 on the opening day. Salisbury leads the team standings with a 162, 10 shots ahead of Asheboro and Wilson Fike, who are knotted in second.
A total of 80 golfers teed off in the third annual tournament on Monday. The first threesome started at 8 a.m. today in the final day of the 36-hole tournament.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series