Colts gallop from 14-point deficit to defeat Hawks
Published in Sports on November 13, 2005 2:01 AM
OAKBORO -- North Lenoir jumped out to a 14-0 lead after the first quarter and led 22-19 at halftime, before West Stanly claimed a 49-42 win in a shootout in the first round of the Class 2-AA (large school) N.C. High School Athletic Association playoffs.
The No. 8 seed Colts (8-4) travel to face top-seeded Reidsville (9-3) in the second round next Friday. The Hawks concluded the season at 4-8 overall.
In a game that saw the two teams combine for 975 total yards and 39 first downs, North Lenoir senior Eric Whitfield finished with 263 yards rushing and five touchdowns. Whitfield finished his senior season with 1,335 yards and 14 touchdowns. Zach Carter added 82 yards on the ground for the Hawks, including their final of the game with 6:47 left in the fourth quarter.
While most of North Lenoir's yards came on the ground, the Colts did most of their damage through the air. Quarterback Damarquis Sturdivant passed for 255 yards on 9-of-19 passing with five touchdowns and one interception. Sturdivant added 77 yards on the ground on 11 carries.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series