Trojan women seeking win
Published in Sports on December 7, 2005 2:05 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- If the Mount Olive College women's basketball team has sent one message to fans this season it's this: don't go anywhere until the final horn sounds.
Mount Olive hopes to rebound from its first loss of the season as the Trojans play host to Chowan in non-conference women's basketball tonight at Kornegay Arena. Tip-off is 7 p.m.
Mount Olive (4-1) had its four-game winning streak Saturday as the Trojans fell 62-61 at Limestone in Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference match-up. The Trojans used a 17-1 run to erase a 16-point deficit in the final six minutes.
Trailing 58-42 with 6:17 remaining in the game, Mount Olive held Limestone without a field goal the rest of the way. Teneal Boone's three-point play with 1:21 remaining pulled the Trojans within a bucket and Ebony Green's basket - after an offensive board by Boone - tied the game at 59-59 with 39 seconds remaining.
The game was tied 61-61 with 8.8 seconds left when Limestone connected on 1-of-2 free throws to regain the lead. Mount Olive had two shots at the basket on its final possession, but neither would fall.
Boone posted her third double-double of the season with 15 points and a career-high 15 rebounds, including nine offensive boards. Green scored 10 of her 12 points in the second half, while Sierra Medeiros scored eight of her 10 points in the first half.
Mount Olive committed a season-low eight turnovers against Limestone and has committed 15 or less turnovers in three of five games this season.
Boone enters tonight's game averaging a double-double with 15.8 points and 10.6 rebounds per game. Green is averaging 11.0 points per contest. Seven Trojans have scored in double figures at least once this season.
After a season-opening 81-57 win over Converse, Mount Olive's last four games have gone down to the wire:
* Boone hit two free throws with four seconds remaining to seal the Trojans' 66-62 win at USC-Aiken.
* Tomeka Prichard's baseline jumper with 6.3 seconds left gave Mount Olive a 66-65 win over Virginia State.
* Green's three-point play and Meaghan Vanderhorst's 3-pointer highlighted a game-ending 12-2 run as the Trojans rallied from a nine-point second-half deficit for a 78-70 win at Queens.
And the Trojans came within a bounce of pulling off a buzzer-beater at Limestone.
Chowan (5-3) is coming off a 67-60 victory at Lenoir-Rhyne Monday. Keyon Sellers, one of four Braves in double figures, notched a double-double with 21 points and 11 rebounds.
Tonight's contest is only Mount Olive's second home game of the year and the first since Nov. 22.
MOC Sports Information
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series