Gilbert named Golden Falcons' MVP for football
Published in Sports on December 22, 2005 2:06 PM
Shrine Bowl selection Cortez Gilbert earned Most Valuable Player honors in the season-ending football banquet held Monday evening at Charles B. Aycock.
Gilbert helped lead the Golden Falcons to a fourth-place finish in the Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference and emerged the program's first Shrine Bowl selection in Randy Pinkowski's tenure as head coach. Aycock (6-6) lost to Wilson Beddingfield in the opening round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association 3-A (small-school) playoffs.
Edward Johnson and Brett Lancaster picked up the MVP awards for offensive and defensive line, respectively. Dontay Taylor was named MVP offensive back, while Montez Ham took home the MVP defensive back award.
Desmond Summers and Carlos Dobbin each received a coach's award.
Matt Smith won the Iron Heart award.
The Eastern Carolina Conference has officially released its all-conference selections for fall sports. The entire list can be found on the Scoreboard, page 7B.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series