Six Warriors secure medals in Bulldog Bash
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on January 4, 2006 2:08 PM
NASHVILLE -- Six Eastern Wayne wrestlers each recorded a top-three finish and the Warriors claimed third place overall in the 2nd annual Bulldog Bash contested Saturday at Nash Central High School.
The Warriors' Chris Tesar and Brandon Johnson each claimed gold medals at 112 and 215 pounds, respectively. Tesar earned a tight, 5-2 decision against Manteo's Joseph Bunnell and remained unbeaten in 33 outings. Johnson pinned Roanoke Rapids'' Bryant Green in 5 minutes, 34 seconds and collected his 34th victory in 38 tries.
Senior Joey Burridge took second at 152 pounds. Teammates Travis Turner (171 pounds), Detori Mitchell (135) and Brian Lincoln (160) each captured third-place honors. Turner endured his first loss in 35 matches during semifinal-round action and bounced back with a win in the consolation finals.
Meanwhile, Tim McNair emerged the lone gold medalist for Greene Central. McNair improved to 15-8 with an overtime decision against Nash Central's Donny Wacenske in the 145-pound title match.
Marquis Eanes grabbed third place at 215 pounds, while heavyweight Justin Wellington ended up fourth. The trio helped the Rams seize eighth place overall in the 19-team tournament.
Jacksonville wrapped up the team championship with 157 points, followed by Union Pines (139) and Eastern Wayne (138). J.H. Rose and West Johnston rounded out the top five with 119.5 and 107 points, respectively.
Eastern Wayne entertains Wilson Hunt in the Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference opener for both teams. The first individual match is scheduled for 7 p.m.
2nd annual Bulldog Bash
(at Nash Central HS, Nashville)
1. Jacksonville (Jax) 157; 2. Union Pines (UP) 139; 3. Eastern Wayne (EW) 138; 4. J.H. Rose (JHR) 119.5; 5. West Johnston (WJ) 107; 6. D.H. Conley (DHC) 104; 7. Northeastern (NE) 95; 8. Greene Central (GCe) 87; 9. Manteo (Man) 82.5; 10. Southern Nash (SN) 81; 11. Gray's Creek (GCr) 71; 12. Nash Central (NC) 64; 13. Wilson Fike (Fike) 62; 14. Pasquotank (Pas) 52; Smithfield-Selma (SSS) 49; 15. Rocky Mount Senior High (RMSH) 44; 16. Currituck (C) 42; 17. Roanoke Rapids (RR) 38; 18. Northern Nash (NN) 18; 19. Knightdale (K) 16.
103 -- Will Pate (JHR) dec. Chris Teeter (Jax), 5-3; 112 -- Chris Tesar (EW) dec. Joseph Bunnell (Man), 5-2; 119 -- Mike Boring (Man) wbf Phillip Cartwright (DHC), 3:07; 125 -- Mike Gigas (UP) dec. Nate Banks (JHR), 3-2; 130 -- John Brewer (Fike) wbf Dominique Vaughan (RR), 3:03; 135 -- Josh Langholtz (Jax) dec. Corey Sly (DHC), 7-2; 140 -- Andrew Langlois (Pas) wbf Robert Bone (SN), 4:20; 145 -- Tim McNair (GCe) dec. Donny Wacenske (NC), 3-2 (OT); 152 -- Antonio Hedgepeth (NE) dec. Joey Burridge (EW), 13-7; 160 -- Blake Goodall (JHR) dec. Eric Wischhusen (SN), 8-6; 171 -- Lucas Wendeborn (NE) dec. Gradon Shaw (Man), 9-6; 189 -- Michael Taylor (DHC) dec. Mitchell Porter (GCr), 5-4; 215 -- Brandon Johnson (EW) wbf Bryant Green (RR), 5:34; Hwt -- Dewen Sutton (NE) dec. Gabel McCuller (JHR), 5-2.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series