Chargers advance in CPIC
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on February 15, 2006 2:24 PM
ROCKY MOUNT -- Wayne Country Day's Molly Peacock scored a team-best 10 points as the Chargers defeated Rocky Mount Academy, 39-37, in the quarterfinals of the Coastal Plains Independent 1-A/2-A Conference tournament on Tuesday.
The fifth-seeded Chargers (5-16 overall) move on to face top-seeded Halifax Academy in the semifinals on Friday at 3 p.m. at WCDS. No. 4 Rocky Mount Academy finished the season at 9-13 overall.
Tierra Brodie added nine points for the Chargers, while Virginia Best chipped in eight points.
Jordan Gutshall led the Eagles with 15 points.
"I was pleased with the team's overall performance," said second-year WCDS coach Toni Ingram.
In the boys' semifinals, top-seeded Greenfield opposes Kerr-Vance in a matchup of defending state champions. Wayne Country Day (18-9) faces Rocky Mount Academy.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series