Trojan men climb to No. 38 in Division II poll
Published in Sports on March 26, 2006 2:10 AM
MOC Sports Information
MOUNT OLIVE -- Mount Olive is ranked No. 38 in this week's ITA Division II men's tennis national poll, which is compiled by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.
The national ranking is the first this season for the Trojans, who were ranked as high as No. 28 during the 2005 season.
Mount Olive (5-12) may be earning a reward for its strength of schedule. The Trojans have played five matches against Division I opponents and eight matches against nationally-ranked Division II opposition, including two teams that have been ranked in the top 10.
The Trojans defeated then-36th ranked Limestone (S.C.) College 8-1 and battled to narrow 5-4 losses to top 30 teams Anderson (S.C.) and Barton. Mount Olive is fielding a lineup comprised of three sophomores and three freshmen.
Mount Olive is one of four Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference teams ranked in the national poll along with No. 24 Anderson, No. 29 Barton and No. 40 Limestone. The Trojans are among 12 Mid-Atlantic Region teams ranked among the nation's top 40.
Mount Olive competed in the North/South Duals this weekend at Wilson. Among the Trojans' five opponents was No. 36 Lincoln Memorial.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series