ECU tops Houston
Published in Sports on April 3, 2006 1:54 PM
GREENVILLE -- East Carolina's Brody Taylor pitched a complete game five-hit shutout in a 3-0 win over Houston Sunday afternoon at Clark-LeClair Stadium.
For Taylor, who improved to 4-1 on the season, it was his first complete game shutout at ECU and his 12th win as a Pirate. He finished the day walking two and striking out six Cougar batters.
ECU (18-12, 2-4) drew first blood in the bottom of the third when Dale Mollenhauer scored on a wild pitch plating the games first run. Adam Witter's RBI single to right field scored Jake Smith from second putting the Pirates up 2-0.
Eight Pirate batters collected hits on the day with Witter leading the charge going 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI's. Jamie Ray was 1-for-4 on the afternoon and extended his hitting streak to ten games, the longest by any Pirate this season. Harrison Eldridge kept his hit streak in tact with a single in the sixth.
Houston (18-13, 5-1) starter Luis Flores dropped to 2-2 on the season after working 32/3 innings. He gave up a pair of runs on five hits while fanning seven Pirate batters. Shea Hancock relieved Flores in the bottom of the fourth working three innings while giving up one run. Clayton Boone closed out the game pitching 11/3 innings and striking out two.
ECU Sports Information
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series