Trojans split twinbill with UNCP
Published in Sports on April 5, 2006 2:18 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Colleen Thomas' two-out fifth-inning bases loaded triple broke open a close game as Mount Olive defeated UNC Pembroke 9-4 in game two of a non-conference softball doubleheader Tuesday at Nancy Chapman Cassell Field. UNC Pembroke took the first game 11-5 as late-inning home runs by Ashley Kalbach and Ashton Locklear broke a 5-5 tie.
Mount Olive (21-26) jumped out to a 2-0 lead in game two as Georgette Richardson drove in a pair of first-inning runs with a double, her school record 20th of the season. UNC Pembroke (22-27) knotted the game in the top of the third on Danielle Peters' two-run homer over the center field fence.
The Trojans answered in the bottom of the third after a throwing error led to one run and Rigil Gruca's RBI single gave Mount Olive a 4-2 lead.
After giving up the home run, Trojan starter Shauna Cowdrey (9-11) settled in and kept UNCP off the board over the next three innings. Cowdrey allowed five hits in six innings pitched and recorded three of her seven strikeouts in the sixth inning.
MOC Sports Information
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series