K-Tribe loses opener to Warthogs
Published in Sports on April 7, 2006 1:57 PM
The Kinston Indians opened up the 2006 regular season with a 4-3 loss at Winston-Salem on Thursday night.
The K-Tribe fell behind 2-0 after the Warthogs banged out four hits off starter Sean Smith (0-1) in the second inning.
Kinston, however, came back to take the lead with three runs in the fifth. Argenis Reyes got the Tribe on the board with a two-run double, driving in Micah Schilling and Ryan Goleski to tie the contest at two. Stephen Head kept the inning going with a two-out single, driving in Reyes and making the score 3-2 after five.
Winston-Salem grabbed the lead back for good when catcher Donny Lucy hit a two-run homer off Smith in the sixth.
The Warthogs then went to the bullpen, using three pitchers in the final three innings to shut down the Indians and secure the win. The two teams return to action today at 7 p.m. for game two of the three-game series.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series