K-Tribe tops Winston-Salem
Published in Sports on April 9, 2006 2:07 AM
WINSTON-SALEM -- The Kinston Indians won their second straight game with an 8-6 victory over Winston-Salem on Saturday night at Ernie Shore Field.
The K-Tribe pounded out 13 hits as they improved their record to 2-1 on the season.
Trevor Crowe started the scoring in the first inning with a solo home run -- his first of the season. After a throwing error scored a run early in the second inning, Matt Whitney notched his first hit of the year, an RBI single to score Argenis Reyes to give Kinston a 3-0 lead.
Ahead 4-1 in the sixth, the Indians put together a two-out rally, starting with a Reyes single scoring Brandon Pinkney. A Brian Finegan double made it 7-1, then Finegan would later score on single by Crowe as Kinston went up by seven.
The Warthogs would chip away scoring two runs in the eight and two runs in the ninth, before T.J. Burton struck out Chris Kelly with one runner on in the ninth to secure the 8-6 win.
Jensen Lewis (1-0) picked up the victory for the K-Tribe, pitching five innings and giving up three hits and no earned runs.
Kinston returns to action on Monday to face the Wilmington Blue Rocks in its home opener at Grainger Stadium at 7 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series