Jenny Jackson hurls shutout for WCU
Published in Sports on April 24, 2006 2:08 PM
GREENSBORO -- Western Carolina won both games of a Southern Conference softball doubleheader over UNC Greensboro on Sunday to complete the three-game weekend sweep at UNCG Softball Stadium.
The Catamounts held on for the 5-4 win in game one despite being out hit 12-to-6, then received a complete game shutout from freshman Jenny Jackson and a pair of home runs to take game two, 4-0.
Jackson, a Charles B. Aycock graduate, notched her third shutout of the season by allowing only five hits and striking out three hitters to run her season record to 12-4.
Playing two games on Sunday after inclement weather on Saturday forced the cancellation of the scheduled twin bill, Western (35-16, 12-2) maintained its hold on first place after the College of Charleston -- WCU's next SoCon foe -- won two of three from Furman on the weekend.
The Catamounts won their fifth-consecutive conference series and pushed their current winning streak to five and have now won 11 of their last 12 games.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series