Mudcats lose to Tennessee
Published in Sports on April 25, 2006 2:06 PM
SEVIERVILLE, Tenn. -- Alberto Gonzalez laid down a perfect safety squeeze bunt in the seventh inning to break a 1-1 game leading Tennessee to a 3-1 victory over Carolina at Smokies Park on Monday night.
Tennessee (8-11), which won for the third time in four games in the series, started the rally against reliever Ross Wolf (1-2) thanks to a swinging bunt from pinch-hitter Adam Haley. Danny Richar, who went 3-for-3 during the game, ripped a single off of first baseman Michael Tucker's glove, sending Haley to third. Gonzalez then pushed a bunt to the right of the pitcher's mound, fielded by Wolf for the out as Haley scored to put the Smokies ahead 2-1. Alex Frazier followed with a run-scoring single to right-center for the 3-1 lead.
Carolina (7-12) fell into sole possession of last in the Northern Division.
Ben Julianel (0-1, 0.96) starts the series finale today against Tennessee's Micah Owings (1-0, 3.12) at 7:15 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series