Wayne Christian wins CCC baseball title
By Steve Roush
Published in Sports on April 30, 2006 2:19 AM
Wayne Christian finished 8-0 in the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference with a huge 5-2 victory over previously unbeaten Village Christian on Friday afternoon.
The Eagles, who concluded the regular season 12-3 overall, bounced back from an early 1-0 deficit by scoring two runs in the third and three more in the fourth.
It was the first league setback for the Knights (10-6, 7-1 CCC), who settled for the No. 2 seed in the upcoming conference tournament.
Tyler Thomas threw six strong innings to notch the win as Adam Brannan came on in the seventh to get the save. Thomas struck out one and walked three while giving up seven hits and two earned runs. Brannan struck out two in a perfect inning of work.
"They both threw really good games," said Eagles coach Tim Brannan, whose team will play a home game Tuesday in the first round of the conference tournament. "I'm very pleased with my pitching right now."
At the plate, T.A. Brannan and Jeremy Jefferson were both 2-for-3, Jordan Yelverton was 1-for-3 with a double and an RBI, Billy Smith was 1-for-2 with an RBI, Adam Brannan was 1-for-2 and scored a run, and Jeffrey Barfield, Andrew Bass and Travis Thomas each had RBIs.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series