BayBears parlay 10 walks into 8-6 victory over Mudcats
Published in Sports on May 5, 2006 2:01 PM
ZEBULON -- Mobile scored three runs in the ninth to overcome a 6-5 deficit to beat Carolina 8-6 at Five County Stadium on Thursday night.
The BayBears (10-17) earned their first win of the series by capitalizing on 10 Carolina walks issued in the game. Of the 10, five scored, including two in the final inning against Matt Yourkin (1-2).
With the bases loaded and no outs, Juan Ciriaco delivered the third of his three doubles to drive in two runs to put Mobile ahead.
Kennard Jones singled later in the inning to cap the rally.
Carolina (11-17) battled back from three deficits in the game, but a four-run sixth inning sent the Mudcats in front.
After a wild pitch scored one run, Patrick Arlis rolled a single to left to bring in a run, then pinch-hitter Jamie Athas smacked a two-run triple for a 6-4 lead.
James Russ made the start, working five innings, allowing five hits and four runs, walking five.
Dale Thayer (1-1) earned the win with two shutout innings.
Carolina leads the series 2-1 with two games remaining, including tonight against the BayBears with Paul Mildren (2-1, 4.50) starting against Mobile's Jose Oyervidez (1-2, 3.74) at 7:15 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series