Tobs sign Josh Carter
Published in Sports on May 9, 2006 2:14 PM
WILSON -- The Wilson Tobs announced the signing of first baseman Josh Carter Monday as he joins fellow Mount Olive teammates Stephen Nordan and Erik Lovett on the 2006 Tobs roster.
Carter, a junior, batted .397 for the Trojans this season, good for fourth in the Carolinas-Virginia Athletics Conference. He was ninth in hits (79), but third in runs batted in (65). He boasted good power numbers, tallying 17 doubles and six home runs.
Recently, Carter was also named Mount Olive's Male Scholar Athlete of the Year. The award recognizes an outstanding junior or senior with a cumulative 3.20 GPA who is a starter or key reserve on his team. Among Carter's other accolades include a two-time All-CVAC First Team selection and being a member of the 2005 ESPN The Magazine Academic All-America All-Districk III First Team.
Carter resides in Goldsboro and is an exercise science major, with a minor in biology.
Carter, Nordan, Lovett, and the rest of the Mount Olive Trojans are still competing in the NCAA Division II Championships, as they play in the South Atlantic Regional May 18-21.
The Tobs, of the Coastal Plain League, were the 2005 CPL Organization of the Year. The Tobs open the 2006 season on May 31 at home against the Martinsville Mustangs.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series