Suns rout Mudcats again
Published in Sports on May 10, 2006 2:08 PM
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- For the second straight night, the Jacksonville Suns punished the Carolina Mudcats 10-1 at the Baseball Grounds on Tuesday night.
After Carolina (14-19) bombed the Suns (19-14) on Sunday 11-0, Jacksonville has ripped off consecutive wins by a combined score of 19-2.
Justin Ruggiano and Anthony Raglani homered in the rout, Ruggiano's third in two games against Mudcats pitching.
James Russ (2-2) suffered the loss, allowing five runs and six hits over six innings. Christopher Young and Chris Mobley permitted five runs total in the final two frames.
The Suns went ahead 1-0 in the first on a two-out double by Andy LaRoche ahead of Ruggiano's two-out homer in the fourth. The Suns scored two more in the fifth before Carolina got on the board in the sixth on a single by Edgar Gonzalez.
Heath Totten (3-1) remained unbeaten over eight career starts against the Mudcats, dating to 2002, earning his third win along with five no-decisions.
The fourth game of the five-game set will be today at 1:05 p.m. with Paul Mildren (2-1, 4.65) starting for Carolina.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series