Bulls get win on the road
Published in Sports on May 16, 2006 2:18 PM
ZEBULON -- Carolina scored twice in the bottom of the seventh inning to complete a sweep over first-place Chattanooga at Five County Stadium on Monday night.
Paul Mildren (3-2) fanned a career-high 11 hitters in the nightcap, but did not earn the win until Edgar Gonzalez delivered the game-winning sacrifice fly to score Alejandro DeAza for a 3-2 win. Angel Molina doubled to begin the inning against John Coutlangus (1-1), then was bunted to third by Kevin Randel. With the infield in, DeAza grounded a single between a pulled in third baseman and shortstop to tie the game 2-2. Rex Rundgren singled to right with DeAza breaking, sending the winning run to third ahead of a first pitch flyball near the right field line by Gonzalez for the win.
Carolina (18-21) also claimed the rain-suspended game with the Lookouts (25-14) earlier Monday night 3-1. Christopher Young (3-1) pitched four scoreless innings to notch the victory, with Chris Mobley recording the final three outs for his fourth save.
The Mudcats play the Lookouts for the final time in the first half today with Manu Olivera (0-0, 2.00) starting against Travis Chick at 7:15 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series