By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 26, 2006 2:17 PM
LAGRANGE -- North Lenoir's Brandon Sutton tossed a complete game and yielded just one earned run on six hits as the Hawks defeated Edenton Holmes, 8-4 in the first game of the best-of-three Class 2-A N.C. High School Athletic Association Eastern Regional series.
North Lenoir (27-1 overall) could secure a berth in the State Championship series with a win in Game 2, which is slated for today at Edenton at 7 p.m.
Brian Smith finished 3-for-4 for the Hawks, while Stihl Sowers slugged a grand slam in the bottom of the sixth to put his team up 7-3.
13-15 Babe Ruth
Rosewood 13, Spring Creek 2 -- Anderson Barnes and Dillon McLamb combined on a three-hitter for Rosewood with Barnes picking up the win on the mound. Will Beasley led Rosewood at the plate going 2-for-4. Potter, Thomas and Keel led Spring Creek at the plate. Rosewood (2-0) travels to Eastern Wayne on Monday, while Spring Creek (1-1) travels to Fremont.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series