Burke leads Open Division at WCMA
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on June 4, 2006 2:20 AM
Golfers sloshed their way around the soggy Goldsboro Municipal Golf Course and played a friendly game of "follow the champion" in two divisions during round two of the Wayne County Men's Amateur contested Saturday.
Heading into today's final 18-hole round at Walnut Creek Country Club, two of the three 2005 WCMA champions sit atop their respective divisions.
Barton College standout Jon Burke carded his second under-par round of the 54-hole tournament with a 70 on the par-71 GMGC layout. Burke leads Kevin Brindley, who fashioned a 2-under 69, by four strokes in the Open Division.
Former champion Randy Daughtry is third at 146.
Defending Senior Division title holder Bill Brewer posted a 4-over 75 and lost his first-round lead to John Zambelli. Zambelli, meanwhile, took over with an even-par 71 and has a two-day total of 140.
Robert Brown is tied with Brewer at 144, while Sam Strawn is four strokes back at 148.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series