Mudcats fall to Mississippi
Published in Sports on June 7, 2006 1:47 PM
ZEBULON -- Matt Wright littered eight hits and three walks over 52/3 innings to lead Mississippi to a series-closing 5-1 win over Carolina on Tuesday night at Five County Stadium.
Wright permitted just an RBI-single from Patrick Arlis in the sixth inning to earn his fifth victory. The Mudcats left the bases loaded in the fifth and sixth as they dropped their seventh game in eight tries.
Adam Bostick (4-4) allowed two runs in the first inning, including a leadoff homer by Onil Joseph, but put together one of his most complete starts of the year. Bostick, who entered the game leading the league in walks, issued just one over six innings, complemented by eight strikeouts.
However, Carolina's offense stranded 12 during the night and lost the series to the Braves (27-32) 4-1.
Arlis went 2-for-4 with an RBI and Frank Moore also contributed two hits.
Trailing 2-1 in the seventh, Carolina (27-33) saw the Braves push across a run in that inning against reliever Chris Mobley, then add two more off Adam Brandenburg in the ninth.
James Russ (2-6, 4.36) starts the series opener against Montgomery at Five County tonight against righty Andy Sonnanstine (3-5, 3.89).
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series